The purpose of this study was to compare the sports competition anxiety test between college level chess and cricket players. For the purpose of the study, forty (40) male chess players and forty (40) male cricket players were randomly selected as the subject for this study. The subject age was ranged between 20 to 25 years. In this study sports competition anxiety test (SCAT, Martens et al., 1990) questionnaire was used to measure sports competition anxiety. Sports competition anxiety test questionnaire was distributed between the chess and cricket players one hour before the competition. The hypothesis selected for this study that there would be no significant difference between the chess and cricket players. Descriptive statistics (mean and standard deviation) and independent‘t’ test were used to analysis the data. The level of significance was set at 0.05. The mean score chess players was 19.20 and cricket players was 22.60. The calculated‘t’ value was 3.95 which showed that significant difference was found between chess players and cricket players (calculated‘t’ 3.95 > tabulated‘t’ 1.99).
KeywordsSports Competition Anxiety Test (SCAT) and Anxiety
- J. Ali, A. Rahaman, & M.T. Khan, A Comparative Study of Sports Competition Anxiety between Male and Female Weight Lifters of Manipur, Human Kinetics Journal of Physical Education, 1 (2010) 1-4.
- E. A. Vadoa, C. R. Hall & S.E. Moritz, The Relationship between Competitive Anxiety and Imagery Use, Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 9 (1997) 241-253.
- A. K. Gamit, A Comparative Study of Sports Competition Anxiety between Male and Female Cricket Players of Gujarat, Indian Journal of Applied Research, 3 (2013) 301- 302.
- S. M. Bulbule, N. G. Kannur, A comparative study of sports competitive anxiety among baseball players, Golden Research Thoughts, 3 (2014) 8-13.
- V. A. Kodape, A Comparative Study on Competition Anxiety of Intercollegiate Rural and Urban KhoKho Players, Indian Streams Research Journal, 3 (2013) 1-4.
- R. Martens (1977) Sport Competition Anxiety Test, USA: Human kinetics.
- J. Singh, S. B. John, and A. Kumar, Comparative Study of Competitional Anxiety among Runners, Jumpers and Throwers between Male and Female Athlete, International Educational EJournal, 2 (2013) 15-17.
- R. Singh, R. Kumar, & A. Tiwari, A Comparative Study of Sports Competition Anxiety on Male and Female North Zone Intervarsity Badminton Players, AMASS Multilateral Research Journal Bilingual Biannual, 1 (2009) 1-5.