The purpose of this study was to examine physical status and coordinative abilities among university level female football players in relation to different playing positions i.e. goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and attackers. A sample of forty (N = 40) female football players (mean ± SD: age 22.17 ± 1.41 years, height 1.61 ± 0.02 m, weight 56.00 ± 1.43 kg, BMI 21.39 ± 0.70), which includes ten each goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and attackers, who participated in inter-college competitions of Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India, was selected. All the participants were informed about aim and methodology of the study and they volunteered to participate in this study. The study was conducted on selected coordinative abilities i.e. orientation ability, differentiation ability, reaction ability and balance ability. One way Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) was applied to find out the significance of differences with regard to coordinative abilities among female goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders and attackers in football. Scheffe’s post-hoc test (SPHT) was applied to see the direction and significance of differences where ‘F’ value found statistically significant. The level of significance was set at 0.05. While comparing the means, it is revealed that goalkeepers had better orientation ability, reaction ability and balance ability than their counterparts; defenders, midfielders and attackers. It is also observed that attackers had better orientation ability, reaction ability and balance ability than their counterparts; defenders and midfielders.However, defenders showed better differentiation ability than goalkeepers, midfielders and attackers. Further, significant differences were found between football players of different playing positions with regard to orientation ability (p ? 0.05) and balance ability (p ? 0.05) but insignificant differences were found with regard to differentiation ability (p ? 0.05) and reaction ability (p ? 0.05).
KeywordsCoordinativeabilities Football Goalkeepers Defenders Midfielders Attackers
- H. Singh (1991) Science of Sports Training, New Delhi: D.V.S. Publisher, 164-165.
- G. S. Ruhal, A. S. Ruhal, M. K. Singh, Coordinative abilities of cricket players in relation to different playing positions, Human Kinetics, 1 (2010) 42- 46.
- Wolf-Dieter Baumgartner, A. Jappel, C. Morera, W. Gstöttner, J. Müller, J. Kiefer, P. Van De Heyning, I. Anderson & S. Bryde Nielsen, Outcomes in adults implanted with the FLEXsoft electrode,6 (2007) 579-586.
- P. Hirtz (1985) Koordinative fahigkeiten im schulsport, Berlin: Volk and Wissen Volkseigner verlag.
- G. Schnabel, G. Thiess (1987) Leistungsfaktoren in Training and Wettkampf (performance factors in training and competition) Berlin: Sportverleg.
- K. Raghupathi, P. C. Krishnaswamy, Comparative analysis of coordinative and balancing abilities among 10-15 years of rural and urban school boys, Global journal for research analysis, 2 (2013) 214-216.
- S. L. Westcott, L. P. Lowes, P. K. Richardson, Evaluation of Postural Stability in children: Current Theories and assessment tools, Physical Therapy, 77 (1997) 629-645.
- C. A. Shumway, G. McCollum, Assessment and treatment of balance deficits. Edited by: P. C. Montgomery, B.H. Connolly (1991) illotm Control and Physical Therapy: Theoretical Framework and Practical Applications, Hixson: Chattanooga Group Inc, 123- 137.
- R. V. Hockey (1983) Physical fitness pathway to healthful living (4th Ed), USA: Mosby Company.
- J. Freiwald, C. Papadopoulus, M. Slomka, M. Bizzini, C. Baumgart, Prävention im Fubballsport, Sportorthopädie Sporttraumatologie, 22 (2006) 140–150.
- V. Pawar, D. B. Hazarika, IndianNational Women Soccer Team-A Profile Study, Variorum, Multi Disciplinary e-Research Journal, 2 (2012) 1-5.
- R. Amin, N. M. Shah, S. Becker, Socioeconomic factors differentiating maternal and child health-seeking behavior in rural Bangladesh: A crosssectional analysis, 9 (2010).
- B. C. Kapri, R. Choudhary, Coordination abilities of Indian football players pertaining to different playing positions in football, Human Kinetics-A bi- Annual journal of physical education and fitness, 1 (2010) 66-73.
- W. Schoellhorn, Individualitaet ein vernachlaessigter Parameter? Leistungssport, 2 (1999) 7–11.