To achieve the purpose of the present study thirty subjects were selected from Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya Maruthi College of Physical Education, Periyanaickenpalayam, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. Their age ranged from 21 to 23 years. They were assigned to two group namely experimental group-I with fifteen college men who were given specific drills with elastic band training exercises for 12 weeks 5 days a week and from 5 pm to 6 pm and other group-II with fifteen boys acted as control group. The experimental group was tested on explosive power and shoulder strength. The selected criterion variables explosive power was tested with standing broad jump test and shoulder strength was tested with push ups. After twelve weeks specific drills with elastic band training exercises post test data were collected and treated with ANCOVA. The level of confidence was fixed at 0.05. The study results showed that the experimental group had significantly altered selected variables explosive power and shoulder strength which was due to the influence of specific drills with elastic band training exercises training programme. The control group did not improve on selected criterion variables.
KeywordsSpecific Exercises with elastic band Explosive Power Shoulder strength
- D. Anandakumar, Specific Training with and without imagery training on selected physical variables among hockey players, Star Journal of Physical Education 8 (2006) 2321.
- M. Behringer, A. Heede & M. Mathews, J. Mester, Effects of strength training on motor performance skills in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis, Pediatric Exercise Science, 23 (2011) 186-206.
- A. Faigenbaum, J. McFarland, F. Keiper, W. Tevlin, J. Kang, N. Ratamess, & J. Hoffman, Effects of a ShortTerm Plyometric and Resistance Training Program on Fitness Performance in Boys Age 12 to 15 Years, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 6 (2007) 519- 525.
- A. Pereira, M. Izquierdo, A.J. Silva, A.M. Costa, J.J. Gonzalez-Badillo, M.C. Marques, Muscle performance and functional capacity retention in older women after high-speed power training cessation, Experimental Gerontology, 47 (2012) 620-624.
- J. Fernandez, A. Mendez-Villanueva, B.M. Plum, Intensity of tennis match play, British Journal of Sports Medicine 40 (2002) 387-391
- M. Kovacs, Applied physiology of tennis performance, British Journal Sports Medicine, 40 (2006) 381-386.
- R.O. Ortiz Rodríguez, (2004). Tenis. Potencia, velocidad y movilidad. Barcelona: Inde.
- E. Baiget, Strength training for improving hitting speed in tennis, Journal of Sport and Health Research, 3 (2011) 229-244.
- R. Van den Tillaar, and G. Ettema, A force-velocity relationship and coordination patterns in overarm throwing, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 3 (2004) 211-219.
- B.J. Wallace, J.B. Winchester, and M.R. McGuigan, Effects of elastic bands on force and power characteristics during the back squat exercise, Journal of Strength Conditioning Research 20 (2006) 268-272.