While the world is focusing on global hunger and malnutrition, another ugly “monster” has emerged – OBESITY, a new form of malnutrition, has surfaced as an urgent challenge affecting several countries. The issue of obesity has received a great deal of attention over the past few decades. Rising obesity rates are a major concern worldwide. The study aims to determine the effect of weight management in the prevention of chronic illnesses acquired from obesity of laboratory high school students. The study made use of purposive sampling of One Hundred laboratory high school students using questionnaire is the main instrument in data gathering. It is noted that the students practice healthy lifestyles and preventions to health problems. The respondents should be into physical activities and embrace properly balanced diet since it shows that these have a relationship in the prevention of health problems.
KeywordsWeight Management, Obesity, Prevention, Descriptive Research,
- A. M. Prentice, The emerging epidemic of obesity in developing countries, International Journal of Epidemiology, 35 (2000) 93–99.
- R. D. Hagan, S.J. Upton, L. Wong, J. Whittam, The effects of aerobic conditioning and/or calorie restriction in overweight men and women, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise,18 (1986) 87–94.
- J.M. Jakicic, B.H. Marcus, K.I. Gallagher, M. Napolitano, W. Lang, Effect of exercise duration and intensity on weight loss in overweight, sedentary women; A randomized trial, JAMA, 290 (2003) 1323–30.
- M. T. McGuire, R.R. Wing, M.L. Klem, W. Lang, J. O. Hill, What predicts weight regain in a group of successful weight losers?, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 67 (1999) 177–185.
- Kunio Yamanouchi, Takashi Shinozaki, Kiwami Chikada, Toshihiko Nishikawa, Katsunori Ito, Shoji Shimizu, Norihito Ozawa, Yoichiro Suzuki, Hitoshi Maeno, Katsumi Kato, Yoshiharu Oshida, and Yuzo Sato, Daily walking combined with diet therapy is a useful means for obese NIDDM patients not only to reduce body weight but also to improve insulin sensitivity, Diabetes Care, 18 (1995) 775–778.
- L.P. Calmorin and M.A. Calmorin (2003) Methods of Research and Thesis Writing, Manila, Rex Book Store.
- C. G. Sevilla (1992) Research Methods. Rex Book Store, Manila.