Purpose of the research; To determine whether occupational burnout levels of physical education teachers differ from their demographic characteristics and to question the relationship between physical education teachers' job satisfaction and occupational burnout levels, if relevant, to reveal the effect on occupational burnout level. The model of the research is causal comparative and relational screening. The research universities constitute 406 physical education teachers who work in the provinces and districts of Muğla and the sample is 76 physical education teachers who participate voluntarily. The obtained data were subjected to normality test. Nonparametric test statistic was used when determining the difference between the groups because the data were not distributed normally. The Kruskall Wallis and Mann Whitney-U test at 0.05 significance level was used to determine the difference between the demographic characteristics of the physical education teachers and the levels of occupational burnout. The relationship between job satisfaction and occupational burnout levels of physical education teachers was determined by correlation analysis at the significance level of 0.01. Because of the relationship between two variables; A regression analysis of the significance level of 0.01 was used to determine the effects of physical education teachers' job satisfaction levels on their occupational burnout levels. According to research findings; there is a significant difference between the seniority years of physical education teachers and the average levels of emotional exhaustion and personal achievement levels. Physical education teachers with 11-15 years of seniority have higher levels of emotional exhaustion and personal success than others. There is a positive relationship between physical education teachers' job satisfaction and occupational burnout levels. As levels of job satisfaction increase, occupational burnout levels decline. This effect is; 15.9% (R2 = 0.155) in the dimension of emotional exhaustion and 15.7% (R2 = 0.157) in the personal achievement dimension.
KeywordsOccupational Burnout, Jop satisfaction, Physical education teachers,
- C. Maslach, (1982) Burnout: The Cost of Caring. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Taner, B (1993) A System Suggestion on the Personnel Approaches of the Administrative Forms of the Great Hospitals and Administrators, Cukurova University Institute of Social Sciences, Doctorate Thesis.
- V. Işıkhan, (2004) Stress in working life and ways of coping, Ankara: Sandal Publications.
- M.S. Diri, K.E. Kıral, Ortaokul öğretmenlerinin iş doyumlarının mesleki tükenmişlik düzeylerine etkisi, Mehmet Akif Ersoy University Journal of Education, 39 (2016) 125-149
- C. Maslach, S.E. Jackson, The measurement of experienced burnout, Journal of Occupational Behavior, 2 (1981) 99-113.
- C. Ergin, (1992) Burnout in Doctors and Nurses, Application of Maslach Burnout Scale. 7th National Psychological Congress Scientific Works Handbook, (143-154). Ankara: Psychological Association Publications
- D.J. Weiss, R.V. Dawis, G.W. England, L.H. Lofquist, (1967) Manual for the minnesota satisfaction questionnaire, Minnesota Studies in Vocational Rehabilitation: xxii. Minnesota University: Washington.
- N. Vurgun, F. Dorak, Z. KAZAK Çetinkalp, (2006) The Determination of Life Satisfaction and Burnout Levels of Physical Education Teachers Who Work in Government and Private Schools, 9th International Sports Science Congress, Muğla.
- A.Ç. Güllüce, (2006) Relations between Professional Burnout and Emotional Intelligence: Implementation for Managers (Unpublished Master’s Thesis), Atatürk University Social Sciences Institute, Erzurum.
- Ş. Aslan, M. Özata, Duygusal Zeka ve Tükenmişlik arasındaki İlişkilerin Araştırılması: Sağlık Çalışanları Örneği, Erciyes University Journal of Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, 30 (2008) 77-97.
- F. Kale, (2007) An Analysis of Job Satisfaction and Burnout Levels of Physical Education Teachers in Terms of Various Variables, Graduate Thesis, Niğde University, Niğde.
- Ş.Y.Özkan, (2007) Investigation of Occupational Burnout Levels of Physical Education Teachers in Niğde, Graduate Thesis, Niğde University, Niğde.
- C. Baykoçak, (2002) Physical Education Teachers’ Professional Issues and Burnout Levels (Application in the province of Bursa), Unpublished Master's Thesis, Ankara University Institute of Social Sciences, Sakarya.
- B.B. Cihan, (2011) The Examination and Comparison of Occupational Burnout Levels of Physical Education Teachers in Primary Schools Working in Different Provinces. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Gazi University Institute of Educational Sciences, Ankara.
- G.A. Arslan, (2008) Comparison of Instructional Leadership Understanding of School Principals and Occupational Exhaustion of Teachers: The Case of Çaycuma Field Research, Karaelmas University Institute of Social Sciences, Zonguldak
- F. Soyer, Y. Can, F. Kale Ozet, Beden eğitimi öğretmenlerinin iş tatmini ve mesleki tükenmişlik düzeylerinin çeşitli faktörler açısındanincelenmesi, Nigde University Journal of Physical Education and Sports Sciences, 3 (2009) 250-271