Adaptive personal fitness and training classes are becoming more available in society. Incorporating modified classes allows for greater inclusion of individuals with disabilities. Personal fitness classes increase over health, muscle strength and decreases mental stressors. Unfortunately, personal trainers are taught modification for injuries, obesity, joint problems and not typically disabilities. Adhering toward generalized public and as inclusive towards individuals with disabilities. This leads to lack of knowledge in allowing individuals specifically with multiple sclerosis into training classes due to not knowing how to work with this specific disability. The purpose of this article is to describe what multiple sclerosis is and how yoga can be beneficial in enhancing everyday life and decreasing fatigue in individuals with Multiple Sclerosis.
KeywordsMultiple Sclerosis Yoga Adaptive physical activity Inclusive sport
- S. Vasudevan, S. Devulapally, K. Chirravuri, V. Elangovan, & N. Kesavan, Personalized Yoga Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis: Effect on Symptom Management and Quality of Life, International Journal of Yoga Therapy, 31 (2020) 1-9.
- A. Hassanpour-Dehkordi, & N. Jivad, Comparison of regular aerobic and yoga on the quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis, Medical Journal of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 28 (2014) 141.
- N.M. Stroud, & Minahan, C.L. The impact of regular physical activity on fatigue, depression and quality of life in persons with multiple sclerosis, Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 7(1) (2009) 68.
- K.B. Alphonsus, Y. Su, & C. D’Arcy, The effect of exercise, yoga and physiotherapy on the quality of life of people with multiple sclerosis: systematic review and meta-analysis, Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 43 (2019) 188-195.
- R.W. Motl, D. Pekmezi, & B.C. Wingo, Promotion of physical activity and exercise in multiple sclerosis: Importance of behavioral science and theory, Multiple Sclerosis Journal–Experimental, Translational and Clinical, 4(3) (2018) 2055217318786745.
- R. Frank, & J. Larimore, Yoga as a method of symptom management in multiple sclerosis, Frontiers in Neuroscience, 9 (2015).
- C.G. Pennington, & L.W. Pennington, A Chance to Play is a Chance to Learn: Integrating Individuals with Physical Disabilities into Physical Education, Curriculum and Teaching Methodology, 3 (2020) 81-89.
- S. Cummings, J. Ayisire, S. Pusch, & C.G. Pennington, How Can Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Affect Sport Performance?, Curriculum and Teaching Methodology, 3 (2020) 93-95.
- J. McDonald, E. Wind, & C.G. Pennington, Netball as an Activity for Individuals with Hemophilia. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance. 91(2) (2021) 46-48.
- C. Hernandez, D. Loeung, R. Washington, & C.G. Pennington, Increasing Physical Activity in Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury, Journal of Physical Fitness, Medicine & Treatment in Sports, 8(4) (2020) 37-38.
- R. Dobson, & G. Giovannoni, Multiple sclerosis – a review, European Journal of Neurology, 26(1) (2018) 27-40.
- Multiple sclerosis information page. (n.d.). Retrieved March 18, 2021, from https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Multiple-Sclerosis-Information-Page
- M.M. Goldenberg, Multiple sclerosis review. P & T: A Peer-reviewed Journal for Formulary Management, 37(3) (2012) 175–184.
- R.W. Motl, E. McAuley, & E.M. Snook, Physical activity and multiple sclerosis: A meta-analysis, Multiple Sclerosis Journal, 11(4) (2005) 459-463.
- R.W. Motl, E. McAuley, & E.M. Snook, Physical activity and quality of life in multiple sclerosis: Possible roles of social support, self-efficacy, and functional limitations, Rehabilitation Psychology, 52(2) (2007) 143-151.
- E. Monk-Turner, & C. Turner, Does yoga shape body, mind and spiritual health and happiness: Differences between yoga practitioners and college students, International Journal of Yoga, 3(2) (2010) 48.
- Yoga: What you need to know. (2019). Retrieved March 18, 2021, from https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/yoga-what-you-need-to-know
- S. Mishra, P. Singh, S. Bunch, & R. Zhang, The therapeutic value of yoga in neurological disorders, Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology, 15(4) (2012) 247.
- L. Powell, & A. Cheshire, An individualized yoga programme for multiple sclerosis: A case study, International Journal of Yoga Therapy, 25(1) (2015) 127-133.
- S. Nejati, S. Rajezi Esfahani, S. Rahmani, G. Afrookhteh, & S. Hoveida, The effect of GROUP mindfulness-based stress reduction and ONSCIOUSNESS Yoga program on quality of life and Fatigue severity in patients with MS, Journal of Caring Sciences, 5(4) (2016) 325-335.