The aim of the present study was to describe how corner kicks were taken and to identify key variables associated with final attempts during Greek Super League season 2018-19. There was a total of 424 final attempts after corner kick, of which, 16.3% were attempts off target, 6.8% attempts on target and 2.8% resulting in a goal. Bivariate analysis presented that attempts on target were increased when the ball was delivered outswing, no players positioned at the goal posts, >1 intervening attackers, attacking player the 1st contact and ball delivered into the central zones of the 18-yard box. Binary logistic regression (Final attempt/ No Final attempt) revealed that the model was statistically significant for the final attempt (p < 0.001) and showed that the intervening attackers (p < 0.001) and the player of the 1st contact (p < 0.001) contributed significantly to the model. These results can aid coaches to enhance on one hand the attacking effectiveness; on the other hand the defensive efficacy of corner kicks within Greek football.
KeywordsSet plays Soccer Final attempt Greek Super League
- Hewitt, G. Greenham, K. Norton, Game style in soccer: what is it and can we quantify it?, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 16 (1) (2016) 355-372.
- Kubayi, Analysis of Goal Scoring Patterns in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Journal of Human Kinetics, 71 (1) (2020) 205-210.
- C.A. Casal, R. Maneiro, T. Ardá, J.L. Losada, A. Rial, Analysis of corner kick success in elite football, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 15 (2) (2015) 430-451.
- M. Mitrotasios, V. Armatas, Analysis of Goal Scoring Patterns in the 2012 European Football Championship, The Sport Journal, 1 (2014) 1-11.
- R. Maneiro, T. Ardá, A. Rial, J.L. Losada, C.A. Casal, S. López-García, Análisis descriptivo y comparativo de los saques de esquina. UEFA Euro 2012, Revista Andaluza de Medicina del Deporte, 10 (3) (2017) 95-99.
- A. Vergonis, Y. Michailidis, T. Metaxas, The Significant Role of Scoring from Set Plays in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, International Scientific Journal of Kinesiology, 47 (2021) 47-51.
- J. Lago, C. Lago, E. Rey, Relevancia de las acciones a balon parado sobre los resultados en el Mundial 2006, Training Futbol, 134 (2007) 46.
- A.M. Luongo, (1996) The soccer handbook for players, coaches and parents. McFarland, London, U.K.
- Pulling, Long corner kicks in the English premier league: deliveries into the goal area and critical area, Kinesiology 47 (2) (2015) 193-201.
- S.P. de Baranda, D. Lopez-Riquelme, Analysis of corner kicks in relation to match status in the 2006 World Cup, European Journal of Sport Science, 12 (2012) 121-129.
- Carling, A.M. Williams, T. Reilly (2005) Handbook of soccer match analysis: A systematic approach to improving performance, Routledge, Abingdon, UK.
- J. Taylor, N. James, S.D. Mellalieu, Notational analysis of corner kicks in English Premier League soccer, Journal of Sports Sciences, 22 (6) (2004) 518-519.
- R. Castillo, F.A. Cruz, A. Raya, J.M. Castillo, Análisis técnico-táctico en los corners del Mundial de Francia-98, Training Fútbol, 49 (2000) 14-23.
- A. Grant, M. Williams, Analysis of corner kicks, Insight, 1 (3) (1998) 25-26.
- S. Poon, A. Douglas, W.G. Hopkins, Notational analysis of long corner kicks in an international youth football tournament, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 12 (3) (2012) 692.
- Pulling, M. Robins, T. Rixon, Defending corner kicks: analysis from the English Premier League, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 13 (1) (2013) 135-148.
- V.A. Miracle, The Belmont Report: The triple crown of research ethics, Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing, 35 (4) (2016) 223-228.
- Gabin, O. Camerino, M.T. Anguera, M. Castañer, Lince: Multiplatform Sport Analysis Software, Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 46 (2012) 4692-4694.
- Pulling, J. Newton, Defending corner kicks in the English Premier League: near-post guard systems, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 17 (3) (2017) 283-292.
- J.L. Losada, R. Manolov, The process of basic training, applied training, maintaining the performance of an observer, Quality & Quantity, 49 (1) (2015) 339-347.
- G. Robinson, P. O’Donoghue, A weighted kappa statistic for reliability testing in performance analysis of sport, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 7 (1) (2007) 12-19.
- J. Cohen, (1988) Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.), L. Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, N.J., USA.
- V. Armatas, Y. Yiannakos, S. Papadopoulou, C. Galazoulas, Analysis of the set-plays in the 18th football World Cup in Germany, Physical Training, 1 (2007) 10-17.
- Zhou, W.G. Hopkins, W. Mao, A.L. Calvo, H. Liu, Match performance of soccer teams in the Chinese Super League-effects of situational and environmental factors, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16 (21) (2019) 4238.
- H. Beare, J.A. Stone, Analysis of attacking corner kick strategies in the FA women’s Super League 2017/2018, International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport, 19 (6) (2019) 893-903.
- C. Li, Y. Zhao, Comparison of goal scoring patterns in “The Big Five” European Football Leagues, Frontiers in Psychology, 11 (2021) 619304.