Background: Achilles tendon strain actually identifies itself. First a strain is milder always than a sprain and a strain affects tendons while sprains affect ligaments. A strain involves hyperextension of a tendon or mild tearing of its fibers. Methods: Analytical methods was used for this article by reviewing relevant publications, primarily based on the online sports medicine journals available on Internet, Wikipedia, Elsevier, PubMed, Google Scholar and National Sports Injury Center Saffdarjang Hospital. Conclusion: This review will provide an overview of the Achilles tendon Sprain and their immediate management on playfield. By this sports personals i.e. coach, trainer and player itself would be able to identify this injury. And will give a better understanding about the sign and symptoms of this injury. Approaches should be used to help in sports training and to avoid injury. Good understanding of the injury and their management may be used in the sports to establish safe and effective training guidelines for sportsman.
KeywordsStrain Sports Injury Achilles tendon R.I.C.E
- I.F. Anderson, K.J. Crichton, T. Grattan-Smith, R.A. Cooper, D. Brazier, Osteochondral fractures of the dome of the talus, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 71 (1989) 143-152.
- P. Brukner, K. Khan, Clinical sports medicine, Sydney: McGraw Hill, (1993)
- Brian A Jacobs, MD, FACSM, Achilles tendon Rupture: Differential Diagnoses & Workup. Medscape, Diagnosis, 24 June 2013
- M.G. Dunn, A.J. Tria, J.R. Bechler, R.S. Ochner, J.P. Zawadsky, Y.P. Kato, F.H. Silver. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using a composite collagenous prosthesis. A biomechanical and histological study in rabbits, American Journal of Sports Med, 20 (1992) 507-15.
- D. Daniel, W. Akeson, and J. O'Connor (Eds.), Knee Ligaments: Structure, Function, Injury, and Repair, (1990) New York: Raven Press.
- M.G. Dunn, J.B. Liesch, S.H. Maxian, M.L. Tiku, and J.P. Zawadsky, The tissue engineering approach to ligament reconstruction, Proceedings of the Material Research Society Symposium, Boston, MA, (1994) 13-18.
- M.J. Friedman, and R.D. Ferkel (Eds.), Prosthetic Ligament Reconstruction of the Knee, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, (1988).
- F.H. Fu, C.D. Harner, D.L. Johnson, M.D. Miller, and S.L.Y. Woo, Biomechanics of knee ligaments: Basic concepts and clinical application, Instructional Course Lectures, 43 (1994) 137- 48.
- D. Ivins, Acute ankle sprain: an update, American Family Physician, 74 (2006) 1714–1720.
- T.A. Järvinen, T.L. Järvinen, M. Kääriäinen, V. Aärimaa, S. Vaittinen, H. Kalimo, M. Järvinen, Muscle injuries: optimising recovery, Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, 21 (2007) 317–31.
- A. Junge, M. Lamprecht, H. Stamm, H. Hasler, M. Bizzini, M. Tschopp, H. Reuter, H. Wyss, C. Chilvers, J. Dvorak, Countrywide campaign to prevent soccer injuries in Swiss amateur players, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 39(1) (2011) 57–63.
- P. Kannus, and P. Renstrom. Treatment for acute tears of the lateral ligaments of the ankle, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 73(2) (1991) 305-12.
- W. Khan-Farooqi, R.B. Anderson, Achilles tendon evaluation and repair, Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicne, 27 (2010) 188-193.
- K. Willits, A. Amendola, D. Bryant, N.G. Mohtadi, J.R. Giffin, P. Fowler, C.O. Kean, A. Kirkley, Operative versus Nonoperative Treatment of Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures: A Multicenter Randomized Trial Using Accelerated Functional Rehabilitation, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 92(17) (2010) 2767-2775.
- B.R. Mandelbaum, H.J. Silvers, D.S. Watanabe, J.F. Knarr, S.D. Thomas, L.Y. Griffin, D.T. Kirkendall, Jr. W. Garrett, Effectiveness of a neuromuscular and proprioceptive training program in preventing anterior cruciate ligament injuries in female athletes: 2-year follow-up, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 33(7) (2005)1003-10.
- Roderik Metz, Geert J. M. G. van der Heijden, Egbert-Jan M. M. Verleisdonk, Rob Tamminga, Christiaan van der Werken, Recovery of Calf Muscle Strength Following Acute Achilles tendon Rupture Treatment, A Comparison between Minimally Invasive Surgery and Conservative Treatment, Foot & Ankle Specialist, 2(5) (2009)219-26.
- D.H. O' Donohue, Treatment of Injuries to Athletes (4th Edition), 1984.
- J. Richter, C. Josten, A. David, B. Clasbrummel, G. Muhr, Sports fitness after functional conservative versus surgical treatment of acute Achilles tendon ruptures, Zentralblatt Fur Chirurgie,119(8) (1994) 538–44.
- T. Soligard, G. Myklebust, K. Steffen, I. Holme, H. Silvers, M. Bizzini, A. Junge, J. Dvorak, R. Bahr, T.E. Andersen, Comprehensive warm- up programme to prevent injuries in young female footballers: Cluster randomized controlled trial, BMJ, (2008)337:a2469.
- B.C. Twaddle, P. Poon, Early Motion for Achilles Tendon Ruptures: Is Surgery Important?: A Randomized, Prospective Study, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 35 (2007) 2033–2038.
- J.J. Vegso, and E. Harman, Non operative management of athletic ankle injuries, Clinical Sports Medicine, 1(1) (1982) 85-98.
- P.D. van der Linden, M.C. Sturkenboom, R.M. Herings, H.M. Leufkens, S. Rowlands, B.H. Stricker, Increased Risk of Achilles Tendon Rupture with Quinolone Antibacterial Use, Especially in Elderly Patients Taking Oral Corticosteroids, Archives of Internal Medicine, 163 (2003) 1801–1807.
- H.W. Winter, Complete Guide to Sports Injuries: How to Treat--fractures, Bruises, Sprains, Strains, Dislocations, Head Injuries, Body Press/Perigee (2004).