The purpose of the study was to evaluate the acute effect of different intensity aerobic (AE) and resistance training (RT) exercises on BI in adult women. Participants were 62 adult women (19.47 ± 2.53 yr., range 18 a 33 yr.), who were randomly assigned to three sessions of either: 1) Control group, 2) Low-intensity AE, 3) High-intensity AE, 4) Low-intensity RT, or 5) High-intensity RT. Before and immediately following each experimental intervention, BI, body weight, and arm and leg circumferences were measured. Three familiarization sessions were performed every 7 days before the AE and RT experimental interventions. Also, 5-RM tests were performed one week before the RT experimental interventions. Data were analyzed using mixed 3-way ANOVA, mixed 4-way ANOVA, and post-hoc analysis. An acute effect of RT on BI was observed, regardless of the exercise intensity, women felt more muscular immediately following the RT session. Regardless of the exercise intensity, 30-min of acute RT exercise changed BI perception, contrary to 30 min AE.
KeywordsBody image Aerobic Exercises Resistance training Exercise intensity Women
- J.F. Hayes, G.E. Giles, C.R. Mahoney, R.B. Kanarek, Breakfast food health and acute exercise: Effects on state body image, Eating behaviors, 30 (2018) 22-27.
- M. Meneses-Montero, J. Moncada-Jiménez, Imagen corporal percibida e imagen corporal deseada en estudiantes universitarios, Revista Iberoamericana de Psicología del Ejercicio y el Deporte, 3(1) (2008) 13-30.
- M. Arroyo, L. Ansotegui, E. Pereira, F. Lacerda, N. Valador, L. Serrano, A.M. Rocandio, Body composition assessment and body image perception in a group of University females of the Basque Country, Nutrición Hospitalaria, 23(4) (2008) 366-372.
- A. Bahram, M. Shafizadeh, A comparative and correlational study of the body image in active and inactive adults and with body composition and somatotype, Journal of Applied of Sciences, 6(11) (2006) 2456-2460.
- Y. Brandberg, K. Sandelin, S. Erikson, G. Jurell, A. Liljegren, A. Lindblom, A. Lindén, A. von Wachenfeldt, M. Wickman, B. Arver, Psychological reactions, quality of life, and body image after bilateral prophylactic mastectomy in women at high risk for breast cancer: a prospective 1-year follow-up study, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 26(24) (2008) 3943-3949.
- J-H. Kim, S.J. Lennon, Mass media and self-esteem, body image, and eating disorder tendencies, Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 25(1) (2007) 3-23.
- K.A.M. Ginis, H.A. Strong, S.M. Arent, S.R. Bray, R.L. Bassett-Gunter, The effects of aerobic-versus strength-training on body image among young women with pre-existing body image concerns, Body image, 11(3) (2014) 219-227.
- A. Campbell, H.A. Hausenblas, Effects of exercise interventions on body image: A meta-analysis, Journal of health psychology, 14(6) (2009) 780-793.
- H.A. Hausenblas, E.A. Fallon, Exercise and body image: A meta-analysis, Psychology and Health, 21(1) (2006) 33-47.
- J.-J. Yoo, D. Willoughby, L. Funderburk, Understanding the effect of resistant training and amino acid supplement on weight perception and body image, American Journal of Health Studies, 34(2) (2020).
- L.E. Salci, K.A.M. Ginis, Acute effects of exercise on women with pre-existing body image concerns: A test of potential mediators, Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 31 (2017) 113-122.
- S. Vocks, T. Hechler, S. Rohrig, T. Legenbauer, Effects of a physical exercise session on state body image: The influence of pre-experimental body dissatisfaction and concerns about weight and shape, Psychology and Health, 24(6) (2009) 713-728.
- G. Burgess, S. Grogan, L. Burwitz, Effects of a 6-week aerobic dance intervention on body image and physical self-perceptions in adolescent girls, Body image, 3(1) (2006) 57-66.
- R. Jankauskienė, K. Kardelis, Body image and weight reduction attempts among adolescent girls involved in physical activity, Medicina (Kaunas), 41(9) (2005) 796-801.
- F.C. Bull, S.S. Al-Ansari, S. Biddle, K. Borodulin, M.P. Buman, G. Cardon, C. Carty, J.P. Chaput, S. Chastin, Chou R, P.C. Dempsey, L. DiPietro, U. Ekelund, J. Firth, C.M. Friedenreich, L. Garcia, M. Gichu, R. Jago, P.T. Katzmarzyk, E. Lambert, M. Leitzmann, K. Milton, F.B. Ortega, C. Ranasinghe, E. Stamatakis, A. Tiedemann, R.P. Troiano, H.P. van der Ploeg, V. Wari, J.F. Willumsen, World Health Organization 2020 guidelines on physical activity and sedentary behaviour, British journal of sports medicine, 54(24) (2020) 1451-1462.
- K. Norton, T. Olds, (2000) Anthropometric. A reference book on human body measurements for sports and health education, BIOSYSTEM Servicio Educativo, Rosario, Argentina.
- A. Solera-Herrera, E. Carpio-Rivera, J. Garzon-Mosquera, R. Obando-Monge, Influence of the Menstrual Cycle on Blood Pressure Post Resistance Exercise in Young and Healthy Women, American Journal of Sports Science, 7(4), (2019) 164-170.
- M.A. Thompson, J.J. Gray, Development and validation of a new body-image assessment scale, Journal of personality assessment, 64(2) (1995) 258-269.
- A. Furnham, P. Titman, E. Sleeman, Perception of female body shapes as a function of exercise, Journal of Social Behavior and Personality, 9(2) (1994) 335-352.
- K. Schulz, D. Altman, D. Moher, CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials, Trials, 11(1) (2010) 1-8.
- A. Meri, (2005) Fundamentals of Physiology, Physical Activity and Sport, Editorial Médica Panamericana, Madrid
- J.A. Velasco, J. Cosín, J.M. Maroto, J. Muñiz, J.A. Casasnovas, I. Plaza, L.T. Abadal, Guidelines of the Spanish Society of Cardiology for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Cardiac Rehabilitation, Revista Española de Cardiología, 53(8) (2000) 1095-1120.
- N. Ratamess, B. Alvar, T. Evetoch, T. Housh, W. Kibler, W. Kraemer, Progression models in resistance training for healthy adults, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 41(3) (2009) 687-708.
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), (2016), ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. Estados Unidos: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- H. Gutiérrez-Pulido, R. de la Vara-Salazar, (2009) Design and analysis of experiments, McGraw-Hill Interamericana, México D.F.
- F. Kerlinger, H. Lee, (2002) Behavioral research. Research Methods in Social Sciences, McGraw-Hill/Interamericana Editores, México, DF.
- G. Keppel, T.D. Wickens, (2004) Design and Analysis: A Researcher's Handbook, Pearson Prentice Hall, New jersey, Estados Unidos.
- W.L. Kenney, J. Wilmore, D. Costill, (2015) Physiology of sport and exercise, Human Kinetics, Champaign, IL
- G. Cafri, J.K. Thompson, Measuring Male Body Image: A Review of the Current Methodology, Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 5(1) (2004) 18-29.
- S.M. Lynch, D.A. Zellner, Figure preferences in two generations of men: The use of figure drawings illustrating differences in muscle mass, Sex roles, 40(9-10) (1999) 833-843.
- T.M. Stewart, H.R. Allen, H. Han, D.A. Williamson, The development of the Body Morph Assessment version 2.0 (BMA 2.0): tests of reliability and validity, Body image, 6(2) (2009) 67-74.