The Purpose of the study was to find out, the intervened effect of yoga on State Anxiety among the peak performers of athletics. The subjects chosen for the study were 30 athletes of different genres from University of Madras, Chennai. Their age ranged between 20 and 25 years. They were randomly divided into two groups of 15 each, one being the experimental group and the other a control group. The experimental group underwent a scheduled yoga practice for a period of 8 weeks, 6 days/week as the control group was on daily regular routine. The status of State Anxiety was measured before (Pre-test) and after (Post-test) the experimental period using Manual of Statetrait Inventory developed by Spielberger (1970). The data were analyzed statistically for significant differences. Later applying analysis of variance and analysis of co-variance (in case of insignificance), significance in variance is shown, and further Scheffe?s test was applied. The result proves that the yogic scheduled practices have made a significant impact on the State Anxiety of the experimental group compared to the control group.
KeywordsYogic Practices Experimental group Control group Manual of State-Trait Inventory
- D.H. Clarke, H.H. Clarke, Research Process in Physical Education, Recreation and Health, (1970) Prentice Hall Inc, New Jersy.
- Y.V. Golubev, Diagnostics and Evaluation of Anxiety with Gymnastic, in Erwin Apitzsch, Anxiety in Sports (Budapest: PEPSAC), 1983, 35.
- C.D. Spielberger, R.L. Borch and R.E. Loshone (1970) Manual of State- Trait Inventory, Palo Alto, California: Consulting Psychological Press.
- B.K.S. Iyangar, Yoga- The Path to Holistic Health, Dorling Kindersley Limited, Great Britain. (2001)
- Swami Satyananda Saraswathi (1993) Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Banda, Bihar School of Yoga, Muger, Bihar, India, 8th Ed.