Basketball is one of the popular sports in the world, and physical performance is becoming increasingly important in basketball as the game evolves. The aim of the study was to investigate the effects of a 3-week modified complex training on athletic performance of women's national basketball players. An experimental study involved the participation of 12 highly trained female basketball players (national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina). Observed variables before and after 3-weeks of modified complex training were 300 yards test, 20-yards test, lane agility and beep test. Means and standard deviations for each of the variables were calculated, and differences pre-to-post performance changes were examined using a paired sample t-test. Three weeks of specific complex training sessions show a statistically significant increase in all tested variables, 300 yards (p≤.001); 20 yards (p≤.001); Lane agility (p≤.001) and beep test (p=.028). It can be concluded that applied complex training program has significantly improved studied parameters of condition preparation of elite female basketball players.
KeywordsHigh intensity, Adolescent females, Team sport, Change-of-direction,
- D. Čaušević, Comparison of body composition and functional profile of female basketball players, Homo Sporticus, 2 (2016) 20-23.
- D. Čaušević, S. Mašić, I. Doder, K. Matulaitis, S. Spicer, Speed, agility and power potential of young basketball players, Baltic Journal of Sport & Health Sciences, 127 (4) (2022) 29-34.
- D. Čaušević, E. Abazović, S. Mašić, A. Hodžić, Š. Ormanović, I. Doder, N. Čović, R. Lakota, Agility, sprint and vertical jump performance relationship in young basketball players, Acta Kinesiologica, 15(1) (2021) 133-7.
- Y. Cui, F Liu, D. Bao, H. Liu, S. Zhang, M.Á. Gómez, Key anthropometric and physical determinants for different playing positions during National Basketball Association draft combine test, Frontiers in Psychology, 10 (2019) 2359.
- H.M. Carvalho, T.J. Leonardi, A.L. Soares, R.R. Paes, C. Foster, C.E. Gonçalves, Longitudinal changes of functional capacities among adolescent female basketball players, Frontiers in Physiology, 10 (2019) 339.
- D. Čaušević, Game-related statistics that discriminate winning and losing teams from the world championships in Spain in 2014, Homo Sporticus. 2 (2015) 16-19.
- K. Matulaitis, D. Sirtautas, R. Kreivytė, R. Butautas, Seasonal changes in physical capacities of elite youth basketball players, Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 21(6) (2021) 3238-3243.
- A. Vretaros, Methodological considerations in the use of complex training in basketball players, Italian Journal of Sports Rehabilitation and Posturology, 08 (3) (2021) 70-88.
- Y. Cherni, M.C. Jlid, H. Mehrez, R.J. Shephard, T. Paillard, M.S. Chelly, S. Hermassi, Eight weeks of plyometric training improves ability to change direction and dynamic postural control in female basketball players, Frontiers in Physiology, 10 (2019) 726.
- A. Eriksson, F.R. Johansson, M. Bäck, Reliability and criterion-related validity of the 20-yard shuttle test in competitive junior tennis players, Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine, 6 (2015) 269-76.
- E. Stojanovic, N. Aksovic, N. Stojiljkovic, R. Stankovic, A.T. Scanlan, Z. Milanovic, Reliability, usefulness, and factorial validity of change-of-direction speed tests in adolescent basketball players, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 33(11) (2019) 3162-73.
- R.H. Sassi, W. Dardouri, M.H. Yahmed, N. Gmada, M.E. Mahfoudhi, Z. Gharbi, Relative and absolute reliability of a modified agility T-test and its relationship with vertical jump and straight sprint, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 23(6) (2009) 1644-51.
- K.M. Jackson, R.W. Earle, Agility testing in female high school basketball players, Journal of Athletic Enhancement, 3(5) (2014) 1-4.
- J.A. Zaragoza, Q.R. Johson, D.J. Lawson, E.L. Alfaro, J.J. Dawes, D.B. Smith, Relationships between Lower-body Power, Sprint and Change of Direction Speed among Collegiate Basketball Players by Sex, International Journal of Exercise Science, 15(6) (2022) 974-84.
- S. Trninić, G. Marković, S. Heimer, Effects of developmental training of basketball cadets realised in the competitive period, Collegium Antropologicum, 25(2) (2001) 591-604.
- D. Sekulic, I. Zeljko, M. Pehar, M. Corluka, S. Versic, S. Pocek, P. Drid, T. Modric, Generic motor abilities and anthropometrics are poorly related to futsal-specific agility performance; multiple regression analysis in professional players, Biomedical Human Kinetics, 14(1) (2022) 259-68.
- N. Kooroshfard, Z. Rahimi, The effect of the neuromuscular, strength and combined training on balance and performance in female basketball players. Physical Treatments-Specific Physical Therapy Journal, 12(1) (2022).
- P.F. Aschendorf, C. Zinner, A. Delextrat, E. Engelmeyer, J. Mester, Effects of basketball-specific high-intensity interval training on aerobic performance and physical capacities in youth female basketball players. The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 47(1) (2019) 65-70.
- I. Zarić, The effects of a six-week training program on motor and functional skills of female basketball players, Fizička kultura, 68(1) (2014) 75-82.
- M.J. Gibala, J.P. Little, M.J. MacDonald, J.A. Hawley, Physiological adaptations to low‐volume, high‐intensity interval training in health and disease. The Journal of Physiology, 590(5) (2012) 1077-84.
- K.A. Burgomaster, K.R. Howarth, S.M. Phillips, M. Rakobowchuk, M.J. MacDonald, S.L. McGee, M.J. Gibala, Similar metabolic adaptations during exercise after low volume sprint interval and traditional endurance training in humans, The Journal of Physiology, 586(1) (2008) 151-60.