This study was aimed at finding reasons for non- participation of J&K players at world & Olympic level it was carried out with a group of 90 national & 30 international players who were at peak performance level at their tenure. A self-made questionnaire was developed to measure the most important reasons for non-participation of J&K players at world & Olympic level. Among the reasons were cited were lack of sport facilities, political factors, Sports organizing authorities (J&K State sports Council, Directorate of Youth Services & Sports, Directorate of Physical Education & Sports University of J&K, and Associations & State Government) and player himself to some extent. Based on the results of the study, a number of recommendations were made for education managers and sport administrators & concern government. Contributions of the study were highlighted and suggestions for further research made. Results: The results of the study were that the sports organizing authorities, Sports facilities & associations were responsible for non-participation of J&K players at world & Olympic level.
KeywordsSports Physical education Facilities Political factors Olympic Equipment
- N. Keresztes, B.F. Piko, Z.F. Pluhar, R.M. Page, Social Influences on Sports activity among adolescents, Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, 128 (2008) 21-25.
- S. Carr, & D.A. Weigand, Daniel A, The Influence of Significant Others on the Goal Orientation of Youngsters in Physical Education, Journal of Sport Behavior, 25 (2002) 19-40.
- E. Daniels, S. Sincharoen, & C. Leaper, The Relation Between Sport Orientations and Athletic Identity among Adolescent Girl and Boy Athletes, Journal of Sport Behaviour, 28 (2005) 315-332.
- Mark Dyreson (1998) Making the American Dream: Sport, Culture, and the Olympic Experience. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press.
- R.H. Hoyle and S.S Leff, The Role of Parental Involvement in Youth Sport Participation and Performance, Adolescence, 32 (1997) 233-243.
- G. Jones, (1990) A cognitive perspective on the process underlying the relationship between stress and performance in sport. In G. Jones & L. Hardy (Eds.), Stress and Performance in Sport, Wiley, Chichester, 17-42.
- J.H. Kerr (1997) Motivation and Emotion in Sport – Reversal Theory, East Sussex: Psychology Press.
- J. Kremer, K. Trew, & S. Ogle, (eds) (1997) Young People’s Involvement in Sport, London: Routledge.