The aim of present study was to investigate the relationship between elite wrestlers' body composition and static strength, anaerobic power and static balance characteristics. Eleven elite male freestyle wrestlers (age = 18.8 ± 1.1 years, height = 170.9 ± 5.3 cm, weight = 75.2 ± 9.6 kg, BMI = 25.7 ± 2.4 kg/m2) who struggle in Turkish Wrestling Super League from Bursa Metropolitan Municipality Sports Club, voluntary participated. Subjects’ height, weight, body composition, balance (Peri Length 443.1 ± 140.6 cm, Aria Gap P 20.6 ± 12.9 cm), anaerobic power (106.3 ± 16.8 kg/m/sec), back strength (140.2 ± 30.7 kg) and grip strength (47.6 ± 6.4 kg) test were measured. Pearson correlation coefficient were performed to determine the relationship between variables. In conclusion, anaerobic power, strength and balance are related to body composition components such as height, body weight, BMI, arm and leg fat %, muscle mass and body weight.
KeywordsWrestling Strength Balance Body composition
- L. Aydos, M. Taş, M. Akyüz, A. Uzun, Genç elit güreşçilerde kuvvetle bazı antropometrik parametrelerin ilişkisinin incelenmesi, Atabesbd, Journal of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, 11 (2009) 0-0.
- R.R. Velez, R. Argothyd, J.F.M. Echavez, M.B.S. Puccini, C.A.L. Alban, D.D. Cohen, Anthropometric characteristics and physical performance of Colombian elite male wrestlers, Asian Journal of Sports Medicine, 5 (2014) e23810.
- J. Yoon, Physiological profiles of elite senior wrestlers, Sports Medicine, 32 (2002) 225-233.
- B.F. Marinho, L.V. Andreato, B. Follmer, E. Franchini, Comparison of body composition and physical fitness in elite and non-elite Brazilian jiu-jitsu athletes, Science and Sports, 31 (2016) 129-134.
- S.A. Ağaoğlu, O. İmamoğlu, N. F. Kishalı, M. Çebi, Türk erkek milli Judo takım sporcularının belirli fizyolojik ve antropometrik özelliklerinin incelenmesi, Atatürk Üniversitesi Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Yüksekokulu Beden Eğitimi ve Spor Bilimleri Dergisi, 1 (2001) 59-67.
- S. Baykuş, (1989), The Analysis of Physiological Characteristics of 17-20 Years Old the Turkish National Free Style and Greco-Roman Espoir Teams Wrestlers, Middle East Technical University, Master Thesis.
- I.V. Sapina, J.A. Pitti, R.C. Ruiz, P. Redon, E. Lurbe, X.G. Masso, Relationship between body composition and postural control in prepubertal overweight/obese children, Clinical Biomechanics, 52 (2018) 1–6.
- E. Franchini, M.Y. Takito, M. Kiss, S. Sterkowicz, Physical fitness and anthropometrical differences between elite and non-elite judo players, Biology of Sport, 22 (2005) 315-328.
- T.G. Lohman, A.F. Roche, R. Martorell, (1988) Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books.
- E. Demirkan, M. Koz, M. Kutlu, M. Favre, The comparison of physical and physiological profiles in elite and amateur young wrestlers, Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 29 (2015) 1876–1883.
- E. Franchini, A.V. Nunes, J.M Moraes, F.B. Del Vecchio, Physical fitness and anthropometrical profile of the Brazilian male judo team, Journal of Physiological Anthropology, 26 (2007) 59-67.
- Goulding, I.E. Jones, R.W. Taylor, J.M. Piggot, D. Taylor, Dynamic and static tests of balance and postural sway in boys: effects of previous wrist bone fractures and high adiposity, Gait and Posture, 17 (2003) 136-141.
- R. Gürsoy, N. Öztaşan, İ. Şen,S. Dane, B. Alpay, Farklı bireysel sporlardaki adölesan sporcularda vücut kitle indeksi, vücut yağı ve kas kuvvetleri arasındaki ilişkilerin belirlenmesi, Journal of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, 9 (2007) 0- 0.
- M.R. McGuigan J.B. Winchester T. Erickson, The importance of isometric maximum strength in college wrestlers, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 5 (2006) 108-13.
- C. Perrot, R. Moes, D. Deviterne, P. Perrin, Postural adaptations during specific combative sport movements, Science and Sports, 13 (1998) 64- 74.