Resistance training has been commonly used as a method of intervention in the rehabilitation of musculoskeletal injuries affecting the knee. Thus, the objective of this systematic review was to identify the methods employed with and without implements in leg press and squat exercises for the maintenance of knee alignment. The literature search was performed in the databases: PubMed, SciELO, and Lilacs. We used the descriptors "muscle strength" and "exercise" and their synonyms, available in the Health Sciences Descriptors (DeCS) and the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), with the terms "valgus knee" and "varus knee". From the 1,117 articles found, eight studies were considered for the review. The included studies had samples composed of young men and women with advanced levels of training. Despite verifying conditions of valgus or varus knee, the studies presented different protocols and assessment methods. The implements comprised physioball, elastic resistance, and wedge. Electromyography and kinematics were used to assess muscle activity and movement patterns. These results reinforced the possibility of using implements to induce muscle and joint actions to reduce varus and valgus conditions. We suggest more studies to define the best strategies to reduce the excessive deviation of the patella in people who have valgus or varus knee.
KeywordsResistance training Leg Press Squat Knee Muscle strength
- E.R. Monteiro, L.B. De Melo, T.G. Gomes, I.B.F. Dias, G.A. Paz, B.F. De Salles, H.L. Miranda, Efeito da ordem de execução de séries alternadas por segmento comparadas a séries tradicionais sobre o desempenho de repetições máximas em diferentes segmentos corporais, Revista Brasileira de Prescrição e Fisiologia do Exercício, 9(55) (2016) 519-525.
- A.E. Capote, S.A.M. Knaut, R.M. Magnani, W. Vilas, B. Fernande, L.J. Carneiro, M.H. Takemoto, Análise da ativação neuromuscular do vasto medial oblíquo e vasto lateral com o uso da bandagem functional, Acta Fisiátrica, 21(1) (2014) 11-5.
- Maria Célia Cunha Ciaccia, Camila Nazareth Pinto, Fernanda da Costa Golfieri, Tales Ferreira Machado, Lívia Lopes Lozano, João Marcel Sanseverino Silva, Vera Esteves Vagnozzi Rullo, Prevalência de genuvalgo em escolas públicas do ensino fundamental na cidade de Santos (SP), Brasil, Revista Paulista de Pediatria, 35(4) (2017) 443-7.
- G.A. Paz, J. Freitas, M.F. Maia, J. Silva, V. Lima, H. Miranda, Electromyography activation of the lower-limb muscles adopting a physioball and elastic band to stabilize the knee joint during multiple sets with submaximal loads, Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 26(5) (2017) 406-14.
- V. Roque, I. Macedo, I. Rocha, I. Barroso, Patellofemoral syndrome, Revista da Sociedade Portuguesa de Medicina Física e de Reabilitação, 22(3) (2012) 53-61.
- T.H. Nakagawa, T.B. Muniz, R.M. de Baldon, F.V. Serrão, A abordagem funcional dos músculos do quadril no tratamento da syndrome, Fisioterapia em Movimento, 21(1) (2008) 65-72.
- B.L. Heinert, T.W. Kernozek, J.F. Greany, D.C. Fater, Hip abductor weakness and lower extremity kinematics during running, Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 17(3) (2008) 243-56.
- R.M. Baldon, D.F.M. Lobato, L.P. Carvalho, P.Y.L. Wun, F.V. Serrão, Diferenças biomecânicas entre os gêneros e sua importância nas lesões do joelho, Fisioterapia em Movimento, 24(1) (2011) 157-66.
- F.R. Noyes, S.D. Barber-Westin, C. Fleckenstein, C. Walsh, J. West, The drop-jump screening test: difference in lower limb control by gender and effect of neuromuscular training in female athletes, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 33(2) (2005) 197-207.
- M. Nordin, V.H. Frankel, Biomecânica básica do sistema musculoesquelético. 4. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan; 2014.
- C-Y. Song, Y-F. Lin, T-C. Wei, D-H. Lin, T-Y. Yen, M-H. Jan, Surplus value of hip adduction in leg-press exercise in patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a randomized controlled trial, Physical Therapy, 89(5) (2009) 409-18.
- Alessandro Liberati, Douglas G Altman, Jennifer Tetzlaff, Cynthia Mulrow, Peter C Gøtzsche, John P A Ioannidis, Mike Clarke, P J Devereaux, Jos Kleijnen, David Moher, The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions, BMJ, 339 (2009) b2700.
- A.J.S. Araujo, W.M. Silva Junior, The Q angle analysis, during resistance training, on open kinematics chain and intermidiate closed kinematics chain, through photogrammetry, Revista Brasileira de Ciências do Esporte, 36(2) (2014) 327-39.
- T.L. Claiborne, C.W. Armstrong, V. Gandhi, DM. Pincivero, Relationship between hip and knee strength and knee valgus during a single leg squat, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 22(1) (2006) 41-50.
- R.C. Foley, B.D. Bulbrook, D.C. Button, M.W. Holmes, Effects of a band loop on lower extremity muscle activity and kinematics during the barbell squat, International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 12(4) (2017) 550-59.
- T-k. Lee, S-m. Park, S-b. Yun, A-r. Lee, Y-s. Lee, M-s. Yong, Analysis of vastus lateralis and vastus medialis oblique muscle activation during squat exercise with and without a variety of tools in normal adults, Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 28(3) (2016) 1071-3.
- H-T. Peng, T.W. Kernozek, C-Y. Song, Muscle activation of vastus medialis obliquus and vastus lateralis during a dynamic leg press exercise with and without isometric hip adduction, Physical Therapy in Sport, 14(1) (2013) 44-9.
- D.A. Forman, G.N. Forman, D.C. Button, M.W. Holmes, Theraband® CLX gold reduces knee-width index and range of motion during overhead, barbell squatting, Sports Biomechanics, 20(2) (2021) 198-212.
- Jurandir Baptista da Silva, Giovanne Moraes Ribeiro, Danielli Braga de Mello, Rodolfo de Alkmim Nunes, Guilherme Rosa, Vicente Lima, Rodrigo Gomes de Souza Vale, Análise do exercício agachamento com e sem o uso de physioball e banda elástica em diferentes intensidades, Journal of Physical Education, 31 (2020) e3171.