Background: No profiling studies have been done on the Elite Indian Football players. The purpose of the study was to study the physical and physiological characteristics of Elite Indian Football Players. Methods: In order to explore the physical and physiological characteristics of elite Indian football players and compare these results according to playing positions 28 current and past Indian under/22 years national players (height 1.73 ± 0.03 m; body mass 71.8 ± 2.5 kg; age 25.1 ± 1.1 years) underwent a series of anthropometric, physical and physiological assessments including skinfold assessment, isokinetic knee extensors and flexors strength, vertical jump, maximal ball kick velocity, Yo-Yo Intermittent Recovery Test, Illinois agility test, and sprint performance. Results: Positional differences influenced results. Body fat was lowest (16.0 ± 0.7%) for forwards (p < 0.01) who were also most agile. Midfielders were strongest (p < 0.01) and the most aerobically fit players (p < 0.05). Significant correlations between isometric strength and jumping performance (r = 0.37) and kicking velocity (r = 0.43) were found. Body fat was well correlated to agility (r = 0.70), dynamic knee flexion (r = 0.78) and extension (r = 0.76) strength, and maximal ball kick velocity (r = 0.42). Conclusion: Position specific characteristics appear to exist and need to be considered for training purposes. However, results suggest that currently Indian players are not meeting physical and physiological standards expected for professional international footballers.
KeywordsSoccer, Endurance, Aerobic Capacity, Muscular Power,
- . Witvrouw, L.Danneels, P.Asselman, T. D’Have, D. Cambier, Muscle flexibility as a risk factor for developing muscle injuries in male professional soccer players a prospective study, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 31 (2003) 41-46.
- P. Wong, Y. Hong, Soccer injury in the lower extremities, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 39 (2005) 473-82.
- J. Hoff, J. Helgerud, Endurance and strength training for soccer players: physiological considerations, Sports Medicine, 34 (2004) 165-80.
- R. Polman, D. Walsh, J. Bloomfield, M. Nesti, Effective conditioning of female soccer players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 22 (2004) 191-203.
- K. McMillan, J. Helgerud, R. Macdonald, J. Hoff, Physiological adaptations to soccer specific endurance training in professional youth soccer players, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 39 (2005) 273-277.
- J.A. Davis, J. Brewer, and D. Atkin, Pre-season physiological characteristics of English first and second division soccer players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 10 (1992) 541-7.
- J. Bloomfield, R. Polman, and P. O'Donoghue, Physical demands of different positions in FA Premier League soccer, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 6 (2007) 63-70.
- V. Di Salvo, R. Baron, H. Tschan, F.J. Calderon Montero, N. Bachl, F. Pigozzi, Performance characteristics according to playing position in elite soccer, International Journal of Sports Medicine, 28 (2007) 222-7.
- U. Wisløff, C. Castagna, J. Helgerud, R. Jones, J. Hoff, Strong correlation of maximal squat strength with sprint performance and vertical jump height in elite soccer players, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 38 (2004) 285-288.
- T. I. Metaxas, N. A. Koutlianos, E. J. Kouidi, A. P. Deligiannis, Comparative study of field and laboratory tests for the evaluation of aerobic capacity in soccer players, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 19 (2005) 79-84.
- S.M. Ostojic, Elite and nonelite soccer players: preseasonal physical and physiological characteristics, Research in Sports Medicine, 12 (2004) 143-150.
- V. Bunc, R. Psotta, Physiological profile of very young soccer players, Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 41 (2001)337-341.
- D.J. Burgess, G. Naughton, K.I. Norton, Profile of movement demands of national football players in Australia, Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 9 (2006) 334- 41.
- A. Chaouachi, M. Brughelli, G. Levin, N. B. B. Boudhina, J. Cronin, K. Chamari, Anthropometric, physiological and performance characteristics of elite teamhandball players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 27 (2009) 151-157.
- K. M. Badaam, N. D. Somwanshi, U.S. Zingade, A. Munibuddin, A Crossectional Study of VO2max and Plasma Lactate Values in Football Players, International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology, 1 (2012) 125-129.
- G. Cometti, N.A. Maffiuletti, M. Pousson, J.C. Chatard, N. Maffulli, Isokinetic strength and anaerobic power of elite, subelite and amateur French soccer players, International Journal of Sports Medicine, 22 (2001)45-51.
- J.V. Durnin, J. Womersley, Body fat assessed from total body density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 years, British Journal of Nutrition, 32 (1974) 77-97.
- J. S. Sandhu, K. Thakur, S. Shweta, S. Ravi, Concentric Hip Muscle Function and Quadriceps: Hamstring in Athletes with and without Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, Ibnosina Journal of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, 4 (2012) 20-27.
- P.K. Canavan, J.D. Vescovi, Evaluation of power prediction equations: peak vertical journal jumping power in women, Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, 36 (2004) 1589-93.
- K. Chamari, Y. Hachana, Y.B. Ahmed, O. Galy, F. Sghaier, J.C. Chatard, U. Wisløff, Field and laboratory testing in young elite soccer players, British of sports medicine, 38 (2004) 191-196.
- C. Castagna, F.M. Impellizzeri, K. Chamari, D. Carlomagno, E. Rampinini, Aerobic Fitness and Yo-Yo Continuous and Intermittent Tests Performances in Soccer Players: Acorrelation Study, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 20 (2006) 320- 325.
- M. Svensson, B. Drust, Testing soccer players, Journal of Sports Sciences, 23 (2005) 601- 18.
- M. Amiri-Khorasani, M. Sahebozamani, K. G. Tabrizi, A. B. Yusof, Acute effect of different stretching methods on Illinois agility test in soccer players. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 24 (2010) 2698-2704.
- M. Brughelli, J. Cronin, G. Levin, A. Chaouachi, Understanding change of direction ability in sport, Sports Medicine, 38 (2008) 1045-1063.
- M.G. Miller, J.J. Herniman, M.D. Ricard, C.C. Cheatham, T.J. Michael, The effects of a 6-week plyometric training program on agility, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, 5 (2006) 459-465.
- P.B. Raven, L.R. Gettman, M.L. Pollock, K.H. Cooper, A physiological evaluation of professional soccer players, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 10 (1976) 209-216.
- P.L. Wong, K. Chamari, A. Dellal, U. Wisløff, Relationship between anthropometric and physiological characteristics in youth soccer players, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 23 (2009) 1204-1210.
- T. Reilly, J. Bangsbo, A. Franks, Anthropometric and physiological predispositions for elite soccer, Journal of Sports Sciences, 18 (2000) 669-683.
- U. Wisloff, J. Helgerud, J. Hoff, Strength and endurance of elite soccer players, Medicine and Science in Sports Exercise, 30 (1998) 462-7.
- A. Arnason, S.B. Sigurdsson, A. Gudmundsson, I. Holme, L. Engebretsen, R. Bahr, Physical fitness, injuries, and team performance in soccer, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36 (2004) 278-285.
- G.J. Noffal, S.K. Lynn, Biomechanics of Power in Sport, Strength & Conditioning Journal, 34 (2012) 20-24.
- T. Reilly, An ergonomics model of the soccer training process, Journal of Sports Sciences, 23 (2005) 561-72.